Thanksgiving is coming up! Need some tasty turkey tips? Follow these tips and hints for a tasty bird during the holidays.
Buy the right amount.
- try to buy at least one pound per person.
- thaw in the refrigerator 24-48 hours. this is the easiest method. you can also try to thaw in cold water, but must change the water every thirty minutes or so.
Pre-heat your oven.
- make sure your oven is working properly. pre-heat it and if you can, test your oven temperature with an oven thermometer.
- always remove bags, or insides to turkey. always wash the turkey and pat dry.
- massage with butter, margarine, or olive oil–especially under the skin.
- season the meat with whatever seasons you choose. season liberally.
- cut veggies, onion, and garlic and put in roasting pan–these will make delicious drippings for gravy.
- if you want, put some garlic cloves under the skin for a nice flavor!
- Roast the turkey until its internal temperature reaches 165°F. insert a thermometer in the thickest part of the breast away from the bone.
Be careful with leftovers.
- try to pack turkey away in airtight containers or bags within 2 hours. refrigerate it, covered, and use it within three to four days (two days for stuffing and gravy).