I find it healthy to “purge” my closet at least once a year–if you can stand to do it once every six months or less…go for it! Sometimes we hold on to things that are either too old, worn out, ripped, to small…lets be realistic here…if you haven’t worn it…dump it…you will feel victorious.
With that said, there are a few basic items all women should have as staples that can be built upon with other items here and there.f
Two pairs of dark slacks – in a neutral color (neutrals are gray, brown, black, dark blue). Be sure to get a straight leg cut. The fiber is up to your liking and lifestyle, but they should drape.
Two pairs of jeans -they should be different wash and lengths for different looks
Two skirts – a straight skirt (aka pencil) and an A line. Fabrics and colors can vary, but stick to solids just below the knew
Shirts – you should have a basic white button front basic shirt
Two-Three sweaters – The fabric should be a lightweight, merino or cashmere
- One black (for trousers)
- One neutral.
- One you can wear to work OR with jeans
- Jackets should be tailored to fit just above the hip. (get a few in solids, prints, or stripes–you can mix and match for work or with jeans:)
- A classic trench coat or raincoat with a zip -out wool liner for multiple seasons
- A knee-length transition coat that works for day and night
- A winter coat (if you live in a cold area)
- A little black dress
- A classic leather style with clean lines that works for everything.
- A fun tote bag
- A small evening bag
Shoes (at least five, but whose counting!)
- A pair of black pumps 2.5-3.5 inch heel (peep toe is cute now)
- A evening shoe with a close toe in a black satin.
- A pair of tall black boots
- Bad-weather boots
- A pair of sneakers or tennis shoes.